It’s hot as blazes outside now, but chilly temperatures will become the norm all too soon. Don’t let cooler weather prevent you from spending time in your outdoor living space. Instead, enjoy an endless summer by installing an outdoor natural gas heater now.
Natural gas heaters are powerful, energy efficient and useful for residential outdoor areas like the patio or deck. Installing one now — before cool, crisp air arrives — will keep you and your guests comfortable long after the neighbors have gone inside.
Walton Gas has done the research to help you decide if a natural gas outdoor heater is a good investment for your lifestyle. Here’s what you need to know:
- Provides exceptional warmth. Because of the combustion of natural gas, natural gas heaters have a greater heat output than other fuel options. The average natural gas patio heater radiates heat downward to warm a 12- to 20-foot area. They are most effective when the outdoor temperatures are between 40 and 60 degrees.
- Good for the environment. Natural gas burns clean.
- Never runs out of fuel. Because it’s connected to your Walton Gas line, fuel is always available.
- Easy placement. Patio heaters must be placed in a ventilated space. Wall, ceiling and post mounts, as well as portable models, are available.
- Choose from two ignitions. Manual ignitions have a push button that creates a spark to light the gas and use a knob to control the flow of gas to the heaters. Automatic ignitions require electricity to ignite the heater. They can be controlled with an on/off switch or hand-held remote. Both ignition types have built-in safety systems to shut off the gas flow if the flame goes out and can’t be relit.
- Fits your style. Many outdoor heaters feature sleek exteriors and can blend in with outdoor décor. These features are excellent for outdoor bar decks, patios and pool decks.
- Requires special plumbing and installation. If a gas line isn’t already available, you’ll need to hire a licensed professional to install a line for you.
- Shop wisely. Look for patio heaters that are UL approved and CSA certified. These approvals ensure each heater has undergone rigorous testing to verify that they are a reliable and safe heating appliance.
A 45,000 BTU heater, which will heat an area of about 300 square feet, can be purchased in the Atlanta area starting at about $325, according to Homewyse.com.
Prices can go much higher, depending on a unit’s style, size and heating efficiency.
Natural gas to fuel the average outdoor heater is about 50 cents per hour.
Ready to keep the party going? Summer is an ideal time to get a great deal and arrange installation of a natural gas heater for comfortable outdoor entertainment this fall and winter. Providing heat when and where it’s needed allows more time to enjoy the patio and deck, making a heater an investment that can easily pay for itself the first season you use it.
Locate a qualified professional for installation or contact Atlanta Gas Light at (800) 599-3770.