Energy-Saving Actions for Any Budget
The air is cold and heating bills are high this time of year. To conserve energy during the coldest months, start with the instant/free changes while considering which investments will improve your usage the most. Take any of these energy-saving steps to cut costs all year long:
- Turn down the thermostat.
- Open drapes to let in sunshine and wear warm clothes indoors.
- Move furniture to unblock heat registers.
- Reduce the water heater temperature setting.
- Keep fireplace dampers closed unless a fire is burning.
- Replace furnace filters.
- Add caulk or weather stripping around doors and windows.
- Upgrade all showerheads to low-flow models.
- Replace old appliances with high-efficiency Energy Star models.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat.
- Increase ceiling insulation.
- Seal ductwork.
- Upgrade heating system.