Program Your Thermostat to Slash Heating Costs
Heating and cooling costs are one of the largest expenditures for the typical home. To make matters worse – and the energy bill higher – we often heat and cool our homes when it isn’t needed. Installing a programmable thermostat is an easy way for Walton Gas customers to reduce heating bills this winter.
Programmable thermostats generally fall into two categories: “smart” connected or non-connected programmable. Both have benefits, depending on your lifestyle and budget.
- Generally saves the most on heating and cooling bills.
- Adjusts your home’s temperature by “learning” your routines.
- Select models turn down when you’re away, suggest energy-efficient settings and provide monthly energy reports.
- Can be monitored, set and managed over Wi-Fi from a computer, smartphone or tablet.
- May use multiple sensors (sold separately) to monitor home temperatures.
- Prices start around $80 for a seven-day programmable thermostat with built-in Wi-Fi.
- Models with more features average $200 each.
- Professional installation may be required.
- Basic models start at about $20.
- A cost-efficient option for homeowners who tend to follow a regular schedule.
- Adjusts temperatures automatically based on preset preferences.
Add a programmable thermostat installation to your fall home maintenance project list. Then, enjoy the energy savings and comfort your new thermostat provides when chillier days arrive.