Woo-hoo! Vacation time is finally here!
Whether you’re planning some fun in the sun or a few lazy days in the mountains, don’t leave home without first ensuring your residence and the valuables within are secure. Crime statistics show that the majority of home burglaries occur in the summer months — the time of year when thieves know families are away for extended periods.
Investing in home security system upgrades or opting
for some new features can provide added protection.
Investing in home security system upgrades or opting for some new features can provide added protection that will give you peace of mind to relax and enjoy your vacation.
Jennifer Kimble, marketing and communications manager for EMC Security, suggests taking these steps now so you won’t worry about your home when you’re away.
1. TEST everything.
Conduct a thorough review of your home security system, including the strength of all doors and windows, locks and your current alarm system. Test door/window sensors, motion sensors, glass-break sensors, smoke/CO detectors, leak detectors and cameras to ensure they are functioning properly.
2. INVEST in professional monitoring.
If you’ve been self-monitoring your home security, consider upgrading your security with a professional monitoring subscription.
Even the most advanced home security system is no good if no one pays attention to it. One overlooked security breach or fire alarm could amount to a costly disaster. Professional monitoring keeps eyes on your property 24/7/365, so you don’t have to.
EMC Security offers affordable professional monitoring starting at $16.95 per month with no contract required.
3. TAP the app.
An important feature of any home security monitoring should be the quality of the mobile app. Look for an app like the one offered by EMC Security that will give you the ability to:
- Check your security system status.
- Arm/disarm your system remotely.
- Receive alerts if the status changes or if a sensor is triggered. You’ll know immediately when someone enters or leaves the house, lets out the dog, and more.
- Add users. Set up profiles for other family members or guests with their dedicated passcode.
- Integrate compatible video doorbells. Receive a notification of motion or doorbell ring, click into the app, see and speak with the person, store video clips, and more.
- Integrate compatible cameras. See live activity, get video clips, notifications, store video, and more
- Connect and control compatible smart devices such as locks, lights and thermostats. This is particularly necessary if you have a pet sitter or someone entering your home while you’re on vacation.
- Automate routines. Set a schedule so that your door automatically unlocks and lights come on when you disable the home security system. Or when the system is enabled, the smart thermostat will lower the home’s temperature and turn off lights.
4. OPT for real-time text notifications.
A real-time text notification gives you the opportunity to work in tandem with your professional monitoring service to identify a false alarm. Only one security company in Georgia currently offers this innovative feature, however.
EMC Text-Alert is an option offered at no cost to EMC Security’s professional monitoring customers. If an alarm is triggered, EMC Security first notifies customers via text. They can confirm whether it’s a real emergency or a false alarm before authorities are dispatched. If help is needed, it can be requested directly from the text platform. If a text is not accessed within 60 seconds, EMC Security moves forward with standard procedures to quickly secure property.
Studies show text notifications are significantly decreasing false alarms, which is reducing municipality fines and frustration. The texting tool is also used to alert customers when non-emergency situations, such as power outages, occur.
For information about custom alarm systems, professional monitoring, mobile security app or real-time text notifications, contact EMC Security at 770-963-1952 or visit emcscurity.com.
Protecting your home during summer vacation
Why is a home security app so convenient?