November is here! With it comes an extra hour of sleep on the 5th, the peak of autumn’s dazzling colors and a turkey day finale. We’ll also begin experiencing cooler mornings and evenings, prompting the start of heating season for many Walton Gas customers.
Keeping your home warm can become quite costly. If last winter’s gas bill was higher than you’d like, now is the time to take proactive steps to avoid a repeat this year. Try some of these hacks to use less energy and save money without sacrificing comfort.
- Turn down the thermostat. Set your thermostat to 68 degrees in the daytime and 65 degrees when everyone is sleeping. Every degree you lower your thermostat below 70 can save 1% to 3% on heating costs.
- Install a smart thermostat. Program your thermostat to match your schedule. The thermostat will then automatically adjust, lowering the temperature when no one’s home or everyone’s tucked away in bed.
- Clean the furnace. Make an appointment to have your furnace serviced by a qualified technician. Change the air filter before turning the heater on, and remember to check it once a month throughout the winter. Select the right air filter for your furnace
- Flip the fan switch. When you turn on the heat, remember to adjust the setting on your ceiling fan so the blades spin clockwise. This forces the hot air that rises to the ceiling down and into the room.
- Let the heat circulate. Check your furniture, curtains and drapes and area rugs to ensure they aren’t blocking heat registers and vents.
- Keep the cold out. Close your blinds or drapes when it gets dark outside to help cut heat loss through your windows.
- Turn down the tank. Set your natural gas water heater temperature at 120 degrees. Every 10-degree increase above that wastes 3% to 5% on water heating costs. If your water heater is located in the garage, basement or other non-insulated space, wrap the tank in a water heater blanket to prevent heat loss.
- Bundle up. Instead of reaching for the thermostat, put on a sweater if you’re chilly. Use extra blankets or down comforters on the bed to keep warm at night.
- Lock in a rate. One of the easiest ways to save money on your natural gas bill is to lock in the rate you pay to Walton Gas. Though Walton Gas is typically one of Georgia’s low-cost suppliers, natural gas prices tend to fluctuate over time in response to supply and demand. Locking in your price helps you avoid drastic swings in energy costs. Sign up for a low fixed rate plan
Take the time to button up your home now and use less natural gas when temperatures drop. It’s a move that can help you avoid a higher-than-expected gas bill.