When you are powering your home with Natural Gas, it is good to know all you can about it. With natural gas, people often wonder what the risk of having a gas leak is.

The good news is natural gas is considered one of the safest and cleanest-burning fossil fuels. In the United States, more than 65 million homes use natural gas as a source of energy. That many people would not use a source of energy that was extremely dangerous. However, natural gas leaks are something that have a chance of occurring, so you should be informed about what to do.

The first thing you should know is what causes a gas leak. Most often, gas leaks come from badly maintained or poorly fitted appliances. Gas can escape from a gas hose that goes into your appliance, so that is why you should make sure your appliances are installed properly and maintained correctly.

The problem with a natural gas leak is that natural gas is highly combustible. Natural gas can lead to the risk of a fire or explosion and it can also lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. However, you will be able to tell if you home has a gas leak by the sulfuric, rotten egg odor. Natural gas doesn’t originally smell that way, but suppliers add that scent so people can tell if there is a gas leak in their home.

If you suspect you have a natural gas leak in your home, you should leave the property immediately. Be sure not to use any electrical device before you do, just get out of the house. Once you are out of the house use a mobile phone or a neighbors phone to call us at 1-877-427-4321.

Odds are, if you install and maintain your natural gas appliances correctly, you won’t have any issues with a natural gas leak, but it is good to be knowledgeable and prepared just in case!